The Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) has launched a new society for underwriting professionals.
David Williams, managing director of underwriting at AXA Insurance UK, is currently acting as chair of the new professional body.
The Society of Underwriting Professionals will provide technical advice and support, as well as relevant and accessible support for professional development.
Williams said: “The launch of the Society of Underwriting Professionals is the beginning of the next stage of development of our interaction with the underwriting community, at what is an incredibly important time for our profession.”
“New challenges of automation and artificial intelligence plus increasing risks from climate change will have a massive impact on underwriting. I look forward to seeing the Society of Underwriting Professionals help shape the profession going forward.”
Its board members include:
- Mandy Hunt, chief underwriting officer of RSA
- Janet Edey, head of management liability for the UK and Ireland for Chubb
- Nick Hankin, director of risk and governance for UK general insurance at Aviva UK
- Sophie Ezadkhasty, underwriter for energy casualty at Swiss Re
- Paul Harris, underwriter for professional indemnity at ArgoGlobal
- Tony Hutchins, underwriting director of Ecclesiastical UK
- Phil Williams, managing director and MGA of Simply Business
- Michael Muzio, chief executive of now4cover
- Karen Shaw, head of commercial underwriting for NFU Mutual Insurance
Mark Hutchinson, societies and member marketing director of CII, said: “CII has created societies to provide practical guidance, knowledge and support throughout members’ careers.”
“We hope members will engage with the society as they aim to raise the level of knowledge and technical competence in this sector of our profession and in turn, bolster public trust.”
CII launched a dedicated professional body for the claims sector in January.